In support of the university mission, The Office of The University Registrar is to help students enroll and then succeed by providing world-class customer service to faculty, staff, students, their families, and other stakeholders; with a particular emphasis toward processes related to academic records, academic progress, enrollment data, classroom support, and academic certification. We will accomplish this mission by striving toward excellence in everything we do, challenging ourselves to be as efficient and effective as possible in our work, seeking out new and better ways of doing business for ourselves and the publics we serve, and creating an environment in the office and on campus which encourages growth, supports academics, respects people and differences, promotes communication and participation, and cultivates a performance culture.
- Our core functions are to serve as the University's central service and academic support unit to:
- Collect and record student and instructional academic program information, including conducting and managing processes related to registration, including residency reclassification.
- Coordinate and produce official enrollment and academic certification from academic records.
- Provide data services to collect, process, and provide access to information in support of academic advising, instruction, and institutional decision-¬making.
- Provide support for determining academic eligibility and academic progress.
- Plan and execute all activities related to commencement ceremonies.
- Officially respond to requests for information about students and programs, and serve as the official manager for access to and release of student academic and educational information.
- Coordinate the use of campus space which can be shared by multiple units.
- Facilitate optimum utilization of the instructional opportunities available to students.
Provides the necessary direction to the units within The Office of The University Registrar to permit the accomplishment of the goals and objectives of the office. Provides the necessary personnel, fiscal, and budget support.
Student Information Systems
Develops and implements computer support and systems for all office activities. Coordinates use of University data bases "owned" by The Office of The University Registrar. Serves as liaison between The Office of The University Registrar and the Office of Information Technology management staffs for development efforts and systems troubleshooting.
Provides institutional statistics and enrollment figures. Provides assistance and information to University units and other stakeholders desiring specific reports or information. Supports research efforts of students, faculty, staff, and the Office of Institutional Research & Assessment (OIRA).
- Handles commencement responsibilities including: coordinating the Commencement list with colleges, developing the Commencement Program with the Printing Facility and coordinating computer data information with the Office of Information Technology. Provides technical assistance to college staff pertaining to their degree programs recording. Coordindates, administers the semester commencement ceremonies.
- DATA / DOCUMENT IMAGING
- Provides administrative support to data verification and data authenticity of the optical imaging system related to admitted and matriculated students. Additionally, responsibility for the workflow process for transfer articulation, evaluation and application including State articulated core curriculum programs. Administrative support is also applied in relation to graduation and degree completion, application and assessment of the Tide Navigator degree audit program.
- TRANSFER ARTICULATION & DEGREE AUDIT
- Coordinates and maintains functions related to the transfer credit evaluation of academic course work; State of Alabama articulated general studies core curriculum courses; and the myBama student information system. This position provides coordination for the implementation, maintenance, and modification of the Tide Navigator degree audit system. Builds degree requirement tables, maintains and coordinates Tide Navigator for computerized checking of degree program. These responsibilities required the set up and monitoring of a quality control system. The position develops and maintains the database for core curriculum course designations, transfer credit articulation, and degree audit.
- PUBLIC SERVICES
- Serves as The Office of The University Registrar public support information center (telephone/walk-in counter) and the student database maintenance/processing area. Provides verifications and transcripts. Certifies degree, enrollment, grade, and other data upon request.
- REGISTRATION & GRADING
- Oversees all aspects of student course registration and facilitates final and interim progress grading by faculty.
- ATHLETIC CERTIFICATION & REGISTRATION
- Coordinates processing of student athletes' records for athletic eligibility determination.
- ACADEMIC SCHEDULING
- Oversees and manages the ASTRA Scheduling System in support of academic and event scheduling.
- Administers Alabama Code and the University of Alabama policy governing resident and non-resident student status for tuition surcharge purposes. Counsels students, parents and University staff regarding residency requirements. Evaluates students' requests for resident re-classification. Coordinates the Residency Appellate Review Committee hearings.