[excludes school officials with a legitimate educational need]
- What is FERPA?
- The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) set forth requirements regarding the privacy of student educational records. This law governs the access and release of these records.
- Who can submit a request for student information?
- The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) generally preclude an institution from disclosing or sharing personally identifiable information from a student record. Exceptions apply, including, for example:
- If the institution has obtained the prior consent of the student, or
- In response to requests for directory information provided the student has not withheld release of his/her directory information.
- FERPA rights cease upon death. However, it is the policy of the University of Alabama that no records of deceased students be released to third parties after the date of death, unless specifically authorized by the executor of the deceased's estate or by the next of kin.
- What data may be requested?
- A third party may request the following information:
- Local Mailing Address
- UA School/College(s)
- Local Phone Number
- Major(s)/Degree Program(s)
- Permanent Address
- Degree(s) Earned and Date(s)
- Permanent Phone Number
- UA email address
- Full-/Part-Time Enrollment Status
- What are the fees for processing a request for student records?
- Fees are assessed depending on the medium of the record being requested:
- Search Fee:
- Category 1: Digital Data File (Provided in Excel Format). A Query Script Development, Test, Production, & Validation Fee of $200.00 is charged for all requests for digital data. This format is for obtaining a list of currently enrolled students (or other population based on UA designated directory information) with name, email and/or address (local/permanent).
- Category 2: Hardcopy. A Search Fee of $15.00 is charged for each records request.
- Category 3: Electronic. A Search Fee of $15.00 is charged for each records request.
- Copy Fees: [in addition to the Search fee]
- For the first 25 pages, there is an additional $1.00 charge per page.
- For each page in excess of 25, there is a $0.50 charge per page.
- Shipping Fee:
- Each request for a hardcopy record is shipped via UPS at the overnight rate of $17.00.
- Requests for digital data will be e-mailed as an Excel spreadsheet.
- Note : Payment is required before the record request will be finalized. Checks should be made payable to the University of Alabama.
- Student Record Requests
- Student Record requests must be in writing.
- Please include one of the following in your letter [whichever is applicable]:
- A statement you are a representative of the news media affiliated with a newspaper, magazine, television station, etc., [ Name:___________] and this request is made as part of newsgathering, or
- A statement whether you are affiliated with an educational or noncommercial scientific institution [Name:_______________] and this request is made for a scholarly or scientific purpose, or
- A statement whether you are affiliated with a private business [Name_______________] and are seeking information for use in the company’s business. State how you intend to use this information.
- Please describe the specific information you want and the format, layout in which you wish to receive it. Please note, by law we may only provide you with directory information.
- Please indicate the date by which you would like to receive the data.
- IMPORTANT NOTE : Due to other priorities, resource availability, etc. a request may take from two to three weeks to fulfill from date of receipt.
- Please state your willingness and ability to pay for applicable costs incurred in processing your request.
- Please provide your contact information, name, postal mailing address, telephone number, fax number, and e-mail address.
- Please mark the envelope “Student Record Request.”
- Please insure your request is signed.
- Student Record requests must be mailed to :Office of the University Registrar
The University of Alabama
206 Student Services Center
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-2857
Or, faxed to (205) 348-7717.