[excludes school officials with a legitimate educational need]
- What is FERPA?
- The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) set forth requirements regarding the privacy of student educational records. This law governs the access and release of these records.
- Who can submit a request for student information?
- The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) generally preclude an institution from disclosing or sharing personally identifiable information from a student record. Exceptions apply, including, for example:
- If the institution has obtained the prior consent of the student, or
- In response to requests for directory information provided the student has not withheld release of his/her directory information.
- What data may be requested?
- A third party may request the following information:
- Local Address
- UA School/College(s)
- Local Phone Number
- Major(s)/Degree Program(s)
- Permanent Address
- Degree(s) Earned and Date(s)
- Permanent Phone Number
- UA email address
- Full-/Part-Time Enrollment Status
- What are the fees for processing a request for student records?
- Fees are assessed depending on the medium of the record being requested:
- Search Fee:
- Category 1: Digital Data File (Provided in Excel Format). A Query Script Development, Test, Production, & Validation Fee of $200.00 is charged for all requests for digital data. This format is for obtaining a list of currently enrolled students (or other population based on UA designated directory information) with name, email and/or address (local/permanent).
- Category 2: Hardcopy. A Search Fee of $15.00 is charged for each records request.
- Category 3: Electronic. A Search Fee of $15.00 is charged for each records request.
- Copy Fees: [in addition to the Search fee]
- For the first 25 pages, there is an additional $1.00 charge per page.
- For each page in excess of 25, there is a $0.50 charge per page.
- Shipping Fee:
- Each request for a hardcopy record is shipped via UPS at the overnight rate of $17.00.
- Requests for digital data will be e-mailed as an Excel spreadsheet.
- Note : Payment is required before the record request will be finalized. Checks should be made payable to the University of Alabama.
- Student Record Requests
- Student Record requests must be in writing.
- Please include one of the following in your letter [whichever is applicable]:
- A statement you are a representative of the news media affiliated with a newspaper, magazine, television station, etc., [ Name:___________] and this request is made as part of newsgathering, or
- A statement whether you are affiliated with an educational or noncommercial scientific institution [Name:_______________] and this request is made for a scholarly or scientific purpose, or
- A statement whether you are affiliated with a private business [Name_______________] and are seeking information for use in the company’s business. State how you intend to use this information.
- Please describe the specific information you want and the format, layout in which you wish to receive it. Please note, by law we may only provide you with directory information.
- Please indicate the date by which you would like to receive the data.
- IMPORTANT NOTE : Due to other priorities, resource availability, etc. a request may take from two to three weeks to fulfill from date of receipt.
- Please state your willingness and ability to pay for applicable costs incurred in processing your request.
- Please provide your contact information, name, postal mailing address, telephone number, fax number, and e-mail address.
- Please mark the envelope “Student Record Request.”
- Please insure your request is signed.
- Student Record requests must be mailed to :Office of the University Registrar
The University of Alabama
206 Student Services Center
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-2857
Or, faxed to (205) 348-7717.