The University of Alabama initiates the authentication process (apostille) for diplomas and transcripts per the rules of the Hague Convention Number 12 and in coordination with the Secretary of State (SOS) based upon written request of the graduate.
The University of Alabama must receive the items outlined below in order to complete a document authentication request. All items should be mailed to The Office of the University Registrar, Box 870134, Tuscaloosa, AL 35487.
- A written and signed request for document authentication from the graduate which includes the following information:
- Graduate’s full name at the time of graduation
- Degree earned
- Term and year of graduation
- Current contact information
- Whether a duplicate hard copy diploma is being requested (item 2)
- Whether a transcript is being requested (item 3)
- Country to which the documents will be sent
- Whether or not the receiving country is a member of the Hague Conference (item 6)
- The diploma fee in the form of a check or money order in U.S. funds made payable to the University of Alabama. The fee will vary as outlined below depending on the diploma used for authentication.
- $40.00 fee if you plan to:
- order a hard copy duplicate diploma
- send a copy of your original diploma
- send your original diploma
- $25.00 fee if you plan to:
- request a PDF version of your diploma
- The transcript fee of $10.00 per transcript in the form of a check or money order in U.S. funds made payable to the University of Alabama. The transcript fee is required only if an authenticated transcript is needed in addition to the diploma.
- A $5.00 fee per document in the form of a check or money order in U.S. funds made payable to the Secretary of State. Also required is the completed Secretary of State form, found here.
- Two stamped (postage paid) 9 x 11 inch Federal Express, Express Mail, or UPS envelopes addressed as follows:
- The Secretary of State (SOS) at the address found on the SOS form in item 4.
- The final recipient of all authenticated documents.
*Step 6 is only required for documents going to a country that is not a member of the Hague Convention Number 12. A list of member countries can be found on the Hague Conference website. Please know that for documents going to China, if the area is not in Hong Kong or Macao then step 6 is required.
- A $3.00 fee per document in the form of a check or money order in U.S. funds made payable to the Office of the Probate Judge. A phone number must be included on the check or money order.
The processing time for authenticated documents varies depending on the request. Authentication of PDF documents will be forwarded to the Secretary of State within three business days. Authentication of a requested duplicate hard copy diploma will take 2-3 weeks. Expedited services can be requested for an additional fee of $35.00.