Stay Connected to UA!
- E-mail and the Internet are the prime means of communication.
Stay Connected with your Parent/Parents/Guardian!
- Together - everyone achieves more.
- E-mail and the Internet are an inexpensive means of communications.
- You should be your parent's primary source of information.
Activate your myBama username & password AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!
- Visit helpdesk.ua.edu/email and click on Get Bama e-mail account information.
- If you have any problems activating your account:
- Phone 205-348-HELP (4357)
- E-mail Help.Desk@ua.edu
- Walk-in service, Gordon Palmer, A-203.
- Service hours.
- 8:00 am - 4:45 pm Monday - Friday
- DO NOT have your UA e-mail redirected unless you are "positive" your UA e-mail will NOT be filtered out as SPAM by your Internet Service Provider. Visit helpdesk.ua.edu and click on E-mail for more information.
Obtain Your UA Action Card [ID].
- In Person Only: Action Card Services located on the Ground Level of the Student Services Center.
- For details visit: actcard.ua.edu.
Know Your Privacy Rights - Students/Parents/Guardian!
- Governed by Federal Law Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Prior consent of the student is required unless the parent can prove his/her son/daughter is dependent as defined in Section 152 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954.
- A separate release form is required for the educational record and the financial record.
- Educational record release forms may be obtained from the Office of Academic Record & University Registrar, 206 Student Services Center.
- To learn about FERPA visit www.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/index.html.
- To see UA's FERPA Policy Statement click here.
Familiarize Yourself with the Business Practices of the University!
- Know & understand registration and registration procedures by visiting catalogs.ua.edu.
- Know & understand the University Rules regarding Grades and related issues. For details visit catalogs.ua.edu and then click on Grades and Grade Points.
- Be a "model" student. For details visit: Student Handbook.
Know University Due Dates & Deadlines!
- A semester is based on a 16-week calendar.
- 15 weeks for classes.
- One week for Final Exams.
- Visit our calendar for Important Dates.
Register for Your Courses In a Timely Matter!
- Key points to remember:
- PLAN AHEAD. Review the Schedule of Classes on-line to begin planning your schedule. Visit mybama.ua.edu and click on the Student Tab.
- ADVISING. All undergraduate students are required to meet with an advisor prior to registration. You should do so well before your registration date and time.
- PERMISSIONS. If permission is required for a course, have your advisor or the course offering department post the permission before you visit the web. Remember: Getting permission to enroll in a class does not guarantee a seat in the class -- you still must register for the course. Make sure you secure permission before you try to register.
- PREREQUISITES. Also, check to see if you meet all the pre-requisite requirements for your course selections before you register.
- HOLDS. If you have a hold on your account, you need to have the hold cleared 2 business days before your registration date and time; otherwise, your registration may be blocked.
- ALTERNATES. Have several alternate courses already picked before you visit the web - just in case your first choice is not available.
- Visit mybama.ua.edu under the Student Tab.
Pay Your Fees In a Timely Matter!
- Your safety is one of our primary concerns. Safety needs to be yours too. For more information, visit police.ua.edu.
- Those who do are most successful.
- A good "Rule of Thumb" is - you should spend at least two hours out of class (studying) for every one hour that you spend in class.
- Use "common sense" and "be flexible" - difficult courses require more time; easy courses require less.
Maximize YOUR college experience - in and outside the classroom!!!!!
When in doubt - please ask - "I did not know is not a good excuse."