Diploma Replacement

The University of Alabama typically issues only one diploma to each graduate. A graduate of the University may purchase a diploma to replace one that has been lost or destroyed. They may also purchase a duplicate for their home and/or office. The replacement/duplicate will bear the date the degree was awarded as well as a reissue date.

The signatures of University and University of Alabama System officials may not be the same as those on the original diploma since the signatures of former officials are not maintained on file. As a result, diplomas are reissued in the current format and bear the signatures of current University officers, no exceptions .

Diploma Name Changes

University policy is to maintain educational records under the student's full, legal name. This is normally first name, middle initial and last name. This means that UA will not normally allow a student/alumnus to deviate from this protocol. For students who use their middle name as their "salutatory"name, we will print diplomas using the first initial, middle name, and last name. Nicknames are not allowed.

Note 1: For international students, the name maintained on the educational records will be the same as the one that appears on their passport and U.S. immigration documentation, including the Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant.

Note 2: Some Health's Professional Licensing and Certification Agencies require that the name on an individual's diploma be the same as the one on the professional license or certificate. Upon presentation of appropriate documentation from the Professional Licensing and Certification Agency, UA will change the name of the diploma.

To order a replacement diploma due to a name change:

A former student/ alumnus may not change the name on his or her permanent academic record except by presenting a signed request and a certified copy of the signed court order showing the authorized name change.

Signed requests for a name change or correction may be mailed to:

The University of Alabama
Office of the University Registrar

206 Student Services Center
Box 870134
Tuscaloosa, AL 35487-0134

 Note 1: The requestor will be asked to provide/show the Office of the University Registrar two photo identifications - usually photo copies.

  • To change the name, the alumnus must present the signed request and the original or a notarized copy of the signed court order showing the new legal name, or the original social security card.
  • To assume the spouse's name following marriage, the alumnus must present a signed request and the original or a notarized copy of the marriage certificate or a state issued driver's license or the original social security card.
  • To discontinue use of the married name and resume use of the original family name, or another name, the alumnus must present the original or a notarized copy of the divorce decree or the original or a notarized copy of the signed court order showing restoration of the original or other name.

Note 2: While the Office of the University Registrar will amend a record upon presentation of appropriate documentation, a cross-reference of the change will be created to preserve the historical record and for verification and credential fraud purposes.

Diploma Replacement/Duplicate Request

To request a replacement or duplicate diploma anytime, from virtually anywhere graduates may order duplicate diplomas on-line 24/7 using the Credentials Solutions system. Credentials Solutions is a vendor that provides this service through an agreement with the University of Alabama. The service is secure and encrypted, and payment must be made by credit card. The cost is $40 for each hard copy diploma and $25 for a PDF diploma. For PDF diplomas, please allow 72 hours for processing of your order. To use the system, click here. Detailed instructions on the Credentials Solutions site will guide you thereafter.

A student who requests a new diploma based on a change of name must pay the fee. The diploma will state, "Reissued: Name Change" and the effective date.

Please include the year (and term, if possible) of graduation as well as the type of degree earned, student number/CWID, and a return address. All replacement diplomas are mailed via the United States Postal Service, usually within two weeks of the receipt of the request.