The Office of the University Registrar is here to make the transfer to UA as smooth as possible. Our transfer credit team is responsible for processing all transfer credit, including AP, IB, CLEP, dual enrollment and military credit. Our office also facilitates all transfer credit evaluations for both prospective and current UA students. To transfer credit to UA, please submit official transcripts and score reports to our office. Want to see how previous students have transferred in courses from other institutions? Check out the link below to our Transfer Credit Equivalency Tables. Once transfer credit has been applied to your UA record, it can be viewed on your Academic Transcript within MyBama. You can view how your transferred courses are being applied toward your degree using Degree Works. If you have any questions not addressed on this website, please do not hesitate to contact our Transfer Credit team at 205-348-2020 or Roll Tide!

STARS is a web-accessible database system which provides guidance and direction for prospective transfer students in the State of Alabama.

The STARS System allows public two-year students in Alabama to obtain a Transfer Guide for the major of their choice. If used correctly, it guides the student through their first two years of coursework and prevents loss of credit hours upon transfer to a four-year university in Alabama.

Yes, all courses that are acceptable for transfer will be posted to a student’s UA record, regardless of grade. However, some courses may require a minimum grade in order to be applicable to UA’s core curriculum requirements and/or degree program requirements. A student should consult with their academic advisor about requirements specific to a degree program.
Grades earned on transfer courses are posted to the UA record and are factored into the student’s Overall GPA. Transfer courses do not factor into the student’s UA GPA. You can find a detailed explanation of both the Overall GPA and the UA GPA in the online catalog here. Please note that only the UA GPA is used in the determination of academic standing (suspension or warning) and the determination of Latin Honors at the time of graduation. A student must have at least a 2.00 UA GPA and Overall GPA for graduation; however, some majors/degree programs may require a higher minimum GPA. A student should consult their academic advisor about requirements specific to a degree program.
Students are required to submit official transcripts for all postsecondary institutions attended. To transfer coursework to UA, the student must request that the transferring institution submit an official transcript to the Office of the University Registrar Box 870134 Tuscaloosa, AL 35487. UA will accept electronic transcripts that are submitted directly from the sending institution in a format that the sending institution has certified as being ‘official’. These are normally sent through a third-party provider such as the National Student Clearinghouse, Parchment, or eSCRIP-SAFE. Electronic submissions by the transferring institution or through these third-party providers can be made to UA will not accept electronic copies of transcripts sent directly from the student. Transcripts can be accepted in person at the front desk of the Registrar’s Office (Room 206, Student Services Building) as long as the transcript is presented in a sealed envelope in a format that the sending institution has certified as being ‘official’.
Students can visit the Transfer Credit Equivalency Tables here to see course listings by transfer institution. This table displays a list of courses from the selected institution that have already been evaluated by UA for an equivalency. These tables do not represent an exhaustive list of all courses from the selected institution that are transferrable to UA. Courses that have not been previously evaluated by UA will be evaluated at the time that a student transfers the course to UA. If you would like to request that a course be added to the Transfer Credit Equivalency Tables, please email to request an evaluation of the course. In the email please provide the transfer institution’s name and location, the course id and title, as well as any supporting documentation you may have such as a course description and/or syllabus. A Transfer Credit Evaluator will then evaluate the course and inform you of the UA equivalency.
No, a student is not able to pick and choose which courses to transfer. All undergraduate courses received that are acceptable for transfer will be posted to the student’s UA record.
Graduate students must contact the Graduate School directly to inquire about transferring credits. That office can be reached at 205-348-5921 or
Transfer credit posted to a student’s UA record can be viewed on the student’s Academic Transcript within myBama. From the Student Tab, expand the Student Services folder in the Banner Self Service channel on the upper left side of the page. From the Student Services menu, expand the Student Records folder and click the Academic Transcript link. Once your credits are posted, they are immediately viewable in myBama on your Academic Transcript. Additionally, any credits posted to your record will be applied to your Degree Works audit overnight and will be viewable the next day.
UA maintains a course equivalency database for transfer courses that have already been evaluated by UA. Incoming coursework that has been previously evaluated will be posted to your record as soon as the transcript is received and processed. Incoming courses that have not been previously evaluated will not be posted until a UA equivalency is determined. Please allow processing time for the evaluation and subsequent posting of the coursework. Once the UA equivalency has been determined, the course will be posted to your record and viewable through myBama on the unofficial transcript. Admitted and current UA students can see how their transfer credit is fulfilling degree requirements by viewing DegreeWorks. To see a list of courses for which UA currently has equivalencies, please visit the Transfer Course Equivalency Tables here.