The Admissions office determines each student’s residency status when the completed application for admission is received and processed. The decision is based on the information contained in the application for admission, transcripts, and other documents required for admission. The residency status determined at this time remains in effect until the student either (1) fulfills the requirements for residency and petitions for reclassification or (2) loses residency by his or her absence from Alabama with intent to become a resident of another state. Residency status is reviewed after any absence from the university of one year [three consecutive semesters] or more.
In Alabama, nineteen (19) is the age of majority. Persons under the age of nineteen are considered minors under the law. The residency status for students under nineteen is based upon the residence of the student’s “supporting person” as that term is defined in the Non-resident Tuition Policy.
No. A student’s residency status is not based on the length of time that he or she attends the University. Alabama law stipulates that an individual living in Alabama for the purpose of attending school is to be considered a non-resident student. Students admitted as non-residents remain as such until and unless sufficient evidence is submitted that demonstrates fulfillment of the requirements listed in the University’s Residency Policy.
Yes, please review Section IV of the University’s Residency Policy. Anyone eligible to receive or who is receiving military education benefits is encouraged to contact the Office of Veteran and Military Affairs (205-348-0983) to discuss benefits eligibility and requirements as they relate to residency.
A noncitizen with a visa that prohibits establishing a residence in Alabama during any portion of the durational period may not be granted resident student status. Other noncitizens may qualify for resident student status by meeting all requirements for residency outlined previously, or having been granted refugee status and meeting all other requirements for residence.
The ownership of property or a business in Alabama does not, by itself, constitute residency or entitlement to in-state tuition.
No. However, per the University’s Residency Policy, students who reside in Lowndes or Noxubee counties in Mississippi may qualify for in-state tuition.
No. This would have no influence on residency status but the student may be eligible for an Alumni Heritage Scholarship offered by the University of Alabama National Alumni Association.
A non-resident student who believes he or she has satisfied the residency requirements may complete an Application for Reclassification of Residence for Tuition Purposes. Students may also find the application within their “Student” page in MyBama. Please note the application lists the documents a student should provide for review. A change in residency classification is never automatic. It is always the student’s responsibility to initiate the reclassification application. Applications must be submitted by the first day of classes for Fall and Spring terms and the first day of classes for Interim in the Summer term. Within the application, students should read directions carefully, attach documents in PDF or Word format, and be sure to submit the application once all steps are complete.
Students will receive a notification to their Crimson email confirming the submission of the application. Students will also be notified of the application decision via email to their Crimson account
No. You must apply by the deadline for registration for the semester in question in order to be reviewed for residency reclassification for that semester.
Temporary absences from Alabama alone will not result in a loss of resident student status once established, unless the absence is accompanied by actions which indicate intent to establish a new residence in another state. Determination that false or misleading information was provided by the student may result in loss of resident status and dismissal from the University. Residency status may be re-determined after any absence from the university.
Refer to the following link for instructions on viewing your bill: